Fire crews were called to woodland at CRT’s Green Farm, Churt, Surrey, on the evening of Sunday 9th July, as a fire tore through 0.2 hectares of wood and heathland. They were able to bring the fire under control.
An investigation by Surrey Fire & Rescue Service is now underway to understand how the fire started. At this stage it is difficult to comment on the cause, but we speculate that it could have been due to a cigarette or discarded glass, which acts like a magnifying glass, catching fire when someone drops it or discards it on the forest floor.
The Countryside Restoration Trust (CRT) would like to warn people that due to the particularly prolonged period of dry and hot weather, with limited rainfall over the last few months, the woodland is unnaturally dry at the moment.
Whilst the CRT have a woodland management plan in place, we need to look at more inclusive and integrated whole-site fire prevention approaches and we will be working closely with Surrey Fire and Rescue Service to safeguard the site for the future.
It is particularly important that people are aware that barbecues and fires being started at the woodlands at Green Farm are expressly prohibited. Following recent occurrences of fly tipping we are asking neighbours and the local community to remain vigilant and to report any issues or suspicious activity to the local police.