These directions have been written in good faith, using information available at the time (March 2011, partially updated August 2013) and The Countryside Restoration Trust cannot accept responsibility for any delays or losses arising from their use. The directions are intended for visitors coming by car and the routes may be unsuitable for larger and heavier vehicles.
Please note there is no tenant farmer at Green Farm, both houses are rented out separately. Thus the Trust only goes there to carry out monitoring, rather than just viewing the farm, in order to avoid intruding on the tenants of the houses.
For satnav users, the postcode of Green Farm is GU10 2LT.
For those who don’t have — or don’t trust— satnavs, here are some directions. You might need a passenger to read them out for you…
To determine whether you will be approaching Green Farm from its south or its north, pick the route you will be taking from this list, then click it for directions:
- from the M25 (east) — you approach Green Farm from its south
- from south-west London — you approach Green Farm from its south
- from Portsmouth and Petersfield — you approach Green Farm from its south
- from Chichester and Midhurst — you approach Green Farm from its south
- from the M25 (west) — you approach Green Farm from its north
- from the west via the M3 — you approach Green Farm from its north
- from the west via the M4 — you approach Green Farm from its north
- from Guildford and the east on the A31 — you approach Green Farm from its north
- from Winchester and the west on the A31 — you approach Green Farm from its north
From the junction with the A3 at Hindhead, proceed northwards on the A287 (Tilford Road) towards Farnham. Go past Mead Road, the entrance to Highcombe Edge School and Highcombe Pines — all on your right — and take the next right, signposted to Rushmoor and Tilford. This also Tilford Road, the road you have just left having become Churt Road at the junction.
Continue along this new Tilford Road and take the 9th on the left: Green Lane. (The last three roads before Green Lane are, in the order you pass them, Beacon Hill Road, Clovelly Road and Churt Wynde. Green Lane is about 550 yards — 500 metres — past the latter.)
Unfortunately, the lane’s name-board is on the north-facing bank of the road, so it is easy to miss! However, it does have a couple of signs either side of the entrance, warning that Green Lane is only 6’6″ (2 metres) wide. The next turning on the right after Green Lane is Hyde Lane, and if you reach this you’ve gone too far.
Green Farm is less than one mile into Green Lane on your right hand side. Drive into the first entrance and park near to the buildings at the far end of a range of garages.
How do I get to the junction of the A3 and A287 in the first place?
from the M25 (east) leave the M25 at Junction 10 and follow signs for the A3 in the direction of Guildford. Go past Guildford and Milford to Hindhead. At the traffic lights in Hindhead you can turn right onto the A287 Milford Road. However, this will change in July 2011, so please see note below about the Hindhead Tunnel.
from south-west London take the A3, passing over the M25 to Guildford. Go past Guildford and Milford to Hindhead. At the traffic lights in Hindhead you can turn right onto the A287 Milford Road. However, this will change in July 2011, so please see the note below about the Hindhead Tunnel.
Hindhead Tunnel Following the opening of the new Hindhead Tunnel, scheduled for July 2011, the existing A3 round the Devil’s Punchbowl to the east of Hindhead will close to traffic and become a bridle/cycle way. Drivers will have to go through the tunnel and then take the Hazel Grove Junction exit, which is situated close to the southern end of the tunnel. Go up the slip road to the roundabout, turn right and cross over the A3, then at the second roundabout go right on the Portsmouth Road to Hindhead and pick up the A287 going north.
then what do I do?
There are two alternatives to going through Hindhead:
1) turn off the A3 as you leave Guildford onto the A31 Farnham Bypass and follow this to the junction named Hickley’s Corner, just outside Farnham, where you turn left into Station Hill (B3001). Then follow the directions below for approaching Green Farm from its north (you will want the directions for traffic coming along the bypass from the east);
2) do not leave the A3 as you depart from Guildford but stay on it for another 4 miles and then take the Milford turn-off (signposted Milford, Petworth, Haslemere and Elstead), go up the hill to the roundabout and take the third exit, signposted Farnham and Elstead (B3001). Cross over the A3 to another roundabout and take the first available exit onto the B3001. Go most of the way through Elstead and then turn left just past the Woolpack pub, following the sign to Churt and Thursley. You are now on Thursley Road. Continue along Thursley Road, passing the post office and then a sign for Pride’s Farm Shop (both on your right). After a long straight stretch, the road bends right and left. Continue to the end of Thursley Road, where you come to a crossroads with Tilford Road and Jumps Lane. There is a building here that used to be called the Pride of the Valley Hotel but is at present (August 2013) undegoing renovation and name boards may be missing. On the opposite corner of Jumps Lane is a sculpture park. Turn left onto Tilford Road and continue until you pass Hyde Lane on the left. Green Lane is the next turning on the right but easy to miss as it is only 6’6″ wide.
from Portsmouth and Petersfield take the A3(M)/A3 north to Hindhead. After the opening of the Hindhead Tunnel in July 2011, you will need to leave the A3 at the Hazel Grove Junction (just before the tunnel) and take the Portsmouth Road to Hindhead. It is anticipated that the junction with the A287 will still exist, although the northern A3 element of it will be gone.
then what do I do?
from Chichester and Midhurst take the A286 north towards Haslemere. As you near Haslemere, a direction sign welcomes you to Surrey and indicates you should take the next left onto the A287 to Farnham, Liphook and Hindhead. Follow the A287 into Hindhead and across the junction with the A3 into Milford Road. It seems that the opening of the Hindhead Tunnel will not affect this route.
then what do I do?
From the Hickley’s Corner junction of the A31 Farnham Bypass, just south of Farnham, you need to travel south on the A287 towards Hindhead. How you do this depends on whether you are coming along the bypass from the east or the west:
A31 traffic coming from the east the Hickley’s Corner junction is controlled by traffic lights and you need to be in the left filter lane, following the signs to Farnham Station. Make the left turn into Station Hill (B3001). Take the first right (just after The Mulberry hotel) into Approach Road, which passes in front of the station forecourt and continues past the station car park. At the far end of Approach Road, turn left (south) onto the A287, which here is called Firgrove Hill. Immediately after the left turn you cross a bridge over a railway line.
A31 traffic coming from the west in an ideal world, you would turn right at Hickley’s Corner. But there is a No Right Turn here and you have to turn left, into South Street. You can then either drive the short distance to the start of the one-way system, turning left into Union Road, or you can reverse your direction and cross over the A31 into Station Hill and follow the directions immediately above. In the rush hour, going via Union Road might turn out to be quicker, as it avoids the traffic lights at Hickley’s Corner and also avoids the possibility of having to queue to reach Approach Road because of the closure of the level crossing adjacent to Farnham station. You also need to be aware that, before you reach Hickley’s Corner, the eastbound side of the A31 narrows to one lane for a short stretch, in order to pass under the A287. A sign warns of “Queues likely” in the rush hour but by the time you’ve seen it you might have worked that out for yourself.
If you take Union Road, stay in the left hand lane and fork left (signposted A287) into Firgrove Hill, so that Farnham police station is now on your right. You are now on the A287, which takes you past the Willam Cobbett pub and over the A31 on a bridge. You then pass Approach Road on your left and immediately after go over a bridge over a railway line.
Travellers from the A31 east and A31 west are now positioned on the bridge over the railway on the A287, Firgrove Hill, heading south.
After the bridge over the railway, continue south along the A287 (which becomes Frensham Road) for some distance.
(In Millbridge, about 2.5 miles from where Approach Road meets the A287, The Reeds Road comes into the A287 from the left — this is the road to take for the other CRT property in Surrey, Pierrepont Farm. In fact, there are two entrances to The Reeds Road. If you do not spot the first one — on the left, just before you pass The Village Workshop on the right — take the second, which is on the left just before The Bridge hotel on the right. Follow the road to the Frensham Garden Centre, which will be on your right. The entrance to Pierrepont Farm is just past the garden centre, also on your right.)
About 5 miles from where Approach Road meets the A287, you reach Churt, where the Frensham Road becomes Churt Road. After the crossroads in Churt, take the second left, which is Green Lane. Green Farm is some way along this lane, on the left after a steep hill.
How do I get to Hickley’s Corner in the first place?
from the M25 (west) rather than stay on the M25 to junction 10, it might be easier to take the M3 from junction 12 of the M25, then leave the M3 at junction 4 and take the A331 southwards (signposted Guildford, Farnham, Camberley, Farnborough and Aldershot — of these, the one you want is Farnham). The A331 is all dual carriageway and joins the A31 Farnham Bypass at a roundabout to the south-east of Aldershot. Leave the A31 Farnham Bypass at Hickley’s Corner, just outside Farnham, by turning left into Station Hill (B3001) and follow the directions for A31 traffic coming from the east, immediately above.
back to “Approaching Green Farm from its north”
1) leave at junction 5 (signposted “Hook (B3349) A287”). At the roundabout at the top of the exit ramp, turn right, following sign to “Odiham and N. Warnboro’ “. Take the 4th exit, signposted “Farnham, Odiham, N. Warnboro’ A287”. At a second roundabout, follow “Farnham A287”. Follow the A287 past Ewshot. Eventually you see in quick succession signs welcoming you to Surrey, to the Borough of Waverley and inviting you to drive carefully through Upper Hale. You then enter a 30mph speed limit and soon see a sign indicating a right turn for the A287 to Farnham. Turn right at the traffic lights, into Folly Hill. After a bit, this becomes Castle Hill and then Castle Street but is still the A287. At the end of Castle Street turn left into The Borough, part of the Farnham one-way system. Move into the right hand lane and at the traffic lights turn right into South Street, following the signs to “Hindhead A287”. Continue down South Street, through another set of lights. You can now either use the left hand lane to cross the A31 into Station Hill (and then follow the instructions for A31 traffic coming from the east, above, or you can take the right hand lane and turn into Union Road. Now move into the left lane and take the left fork (marked only by a small “A287” sign), so that the Farnham Police Station is on your right. Continue past the William Cobett pub (on your left) and cross the A31 by a bridge, followed immediately by bridge over a railway line. Now refer to the last paragraph of Approaching Green Farm from its north, above.
then what do I do?
2) or you can stay on the M3 until junction 4, taking the A331 south (signposted Guildford, Farnham, Camberley and Farnborough — of these, the one you follow is Farnham). This road joins the A31 Farnham Bypass at a roundabout and about 2.5 miles further on you come to Hickley’s Corner, where you turn left off the A31 and follow the directions for A31 traffic coming from the east, above.
then what do I do?
from the west via the M4 leave the M4 at junction 10 and take the A329(M) south (signposted towards Reading (E), Wokingham and Bracknell). After leaving the M4 carriageway, ignore signs to Reading (E) and follow signs to Wokingham and Bracknell. After a couple of miles the road becomes the plain A329, a dual carriageway. Ignore signs for the A329 to Wokingham and stay on the road south towards Bracknell. At the Doncastle Roundabout, go straight on, following signs for A329 Bracknell and Ascot. At the Twin Bridges Roundabout be in the centre lane and take the second exit, following “Bagshot A322 (A30)”. After the roundabout, the road narrows to one lane southbound and passes a fire station on the left. The road then changes to two lanes southbound. Subsequent roundabouts are unnamed. At the next roundabout, take the 3rd exit (it’s shown as the 2nd exit on signs but there is a small road between exits 1 and 2) following “(M3) A322 Bagshot (A30)”. You are now on a dual carriageway all the way to the M3. At the next roundabout follow “(M3) A322 Bagshot (A30)” again. At the next roundabout go straight over (2nd exit), following the same signs. You then come to a one-way system where you follow signs for the “(M3) A322 Bagshot (A30)” again and ignore signs for A322 Slough and Ascot. The A322 then passes under the A30 and you carry on, following “(M3,M25) A322 Guildford, Lightwater and Bisley”. A sign tells you to take the right hand lane for “M3 Basingstoke” and its road surface is marked “M3 West”. Continue to follow signs for “Southampton, Basingstoke M3”. Eventually you come to another roundabout where you need to be in lane 3. Turn right at this roundabout onto the M3 (junction 3), signposted Southampton and Basingstoke. Leave the M3 at the next junction (junction 4), taking the A331 south (signposted Guildford, Farnham, Camberley and Farnborough — of these, the one you follow is Farnham). This road joins the A31 Farnham Bypass at a roundabout and about 2.5 miles further on you come to Hickley’s Corner, where you turn left off the A31 and follow the directions for A31 traffic coming from the east, above.
then what do I do?
from Guildford and the east on the A31 Farnham Bypass, take the B3001 exit into Station Hill (this junction is named as Hinckley’s Corner on signs) by turning left. Then follow the instructions for A31 traffic coming from the east, above.
then what do I do?
from Winchester and the west on the A31 you need to leave at Hickley’s Corner, the junction for Farnham station and the B3001. Unfortunately, there is a No Right Turn here, so turn left off the A31, following the red and white station sign and “Central Farnham”, both displayed on the big green sign for Hickley’s Corner. Then follow the directions for A31 traffic coming from the west, above.
then what do I do?